Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Reasons Why I Dig the Night Life at Work

(The following reasons are as much a figment of my imagination as the monster under the bed is yours. Please tread with care. Yes, tread. Read, however you want.)

* I'm an insomniac. 24/7/365

* I'm not getting younger. Hence, all the more reason for me to get in touch with my lesser known dark side.

* The back pains make me thankful I (still) have a back.

* I love copy pasting the entire edition. Which, FYI, is already available online on the net. I excel in obsolete work.

* I don't get to see the sun much. No fear of getting sun burnt. Hence, you will never catch me asking the sun to 'take a chill pill' or making any other such lame remarks.

* I also save up on my sunscreen. Ways to save up money which I will need to spend on my deteriorating health.

* Lesser people at work. More A/C. Wait... They switch off the air conditioning at the night time.

* I love the Delhi night lyf. I see so much of it on my way back home at 2 in the night.

* I save up on dinner. Don't have tym to eat it, so crash dieting it is!

* I get to use the 17th floor loo because, of course, my floor's ladies loo is closed for work. Or better still use the men's loo... (Strains of "Where no woman has gone before...")

* I wanna partake of the disability quota. Why be partially blind when I can be fully optically challenged?

* I lyk the 'shorter' shifts. Means double the amount of work packed in half the allotted tym. Wheee! What fun!

* I don't wanna die peacefully in my old age... In pain and at the ripe middle age of 25 is more lyk it.

* The lifts are empty. So is the entire 17 floors building.

* Out of the 6 lifts, waiting for that one functional lift to come to your floor.

* It's so fruitfully exasperating when the software doesn't work. Gives ample scope to your imagination to form the latest of cuss words.

* The 'actual' element of surprise when you wish someone a happy birthday and then they realise you are at work. The pity, sympathy, empathy... I dig it all.

* The prude-like attitude when I get to throw around facts like I work nights. Makes me sound all cool. In a call centre like manner. Or not.

* The satiated feeling you achieve when you look back and realise you have clocked about two months of night shifts at work.

1 comment:

Peter Kenny said...

I used like working at night as a chemistry grad student. Could have the lab to myself. However, it was an old building and at 2AM I would be(fairly) sure that I was the only person there. I would have to walk through a large teaching laboratory on the way out. However, it had not always been so. Many years before it had been a research lab and a long dead professor would monitor the progress of his minions through a window that had been fitted specially for that purpose. I always used to gaze up at it on the way out. Once after a particularly ardous night in the lab, I thought I saw something...